French Onion Soup. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with.
Sweet onions, melted cheese and finished with a gnarly top. French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world. And yet, the soup itself is made with very few core ingredients: butter, onions, flour and stock/broth. You can cook French Onion Soup using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- You need 2 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 5 medium of onions.
- It’s 1 tbsp of flour.
- You need 1 tsp of rosemary.
- It’s 1 cup of dry red wine.
- It’s 6 cup of Beef stock.
- You need 1 of ground black pepper (to taste).
- Prepare 1/2 of baguette (cut into slices).
- You need 3 cup of provolone cheese (shredded).
- It’s 1 tbsp of chives.
- Prepare 1 of garlic clove.
French onion soup is a bistro classic, the most homey and delicious example of good café cooking. But only a handful of frugal ingredients make up this restaurant favorite. Look, French Onion Soup a challenging soup to eat: chunks of chewy cheese and soggy bread floating on top.but it's supposed to be that way. I often suggest additions or subtractions to a recipe.
French Onion Soup step by step
- To caramelize the onions. Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy bottomed Dutch oven or saucepan over low heat. Add onions. Cook onions stirring regularly until onions are dark golden brown color, about 45 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium. Add rosemary and flour. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually stir in red wine. Let reduce for 5 to 10 minutes then add beef stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Finish with fresh ground pepper..
- Brush slices with olive oil and toast under broiler until lightly golden. Rub with garlic..
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with toasted bread and provolone cheese. Broil until cheese melts and bubbles, about 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with chopped chives.
Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home. This savoury soup is perfect for using up a garden glut and great for dinner parties. This easy yet classic french onion soup recipe is the perfect comfort food for those colder months. If you're a fan of French onion soup and have made it at home before, you'll probably notice two things. French onion soup is a hearty dish made with the comforting flavors of onions, beef stock, bread and cheese.