Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup.
You can cook Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup using 30 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup
- Prepare of Base.
- It’s of Hunk of butter (or oil).
- It’s 1 of onion, diced.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic.
- You need 3 of carrots.
- Prepare 1 tsp of flour.
- Prepare Splash of wine.
- You need 1 cup of stock (chicken/pork/veggie all work).
- It’s of Bouquet Garni (herb bundle).
- Prepare of Cheesecloth.
- You need of Butcher’s twine.
- You need 1 of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves, broken.
- It’s 2 of allspice.
- You need 2 of star anise.
- You need 4 of cloves.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of black peppercorns.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of fenugreek.
- You need 1 of dried chili pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of thyme.
- Prepare of The Soup.
- It’s 1 cup of dry lentils (green or yellow).
- It’s 1 of Tupperware of leftover roasted ham, diced.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cumin (optional).
- You need 1/2 tsp of garam masala (optional).
- Prepare of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of Garnish.
- You need of Chopped fresh cilantro.
- You need of Sour cream.
- Prepare of Croutons.
Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup instructions
- Cook your lentils. Wash dry lentils thoroughly (all sorts of weird stuff turns up in dry lentils, I found a piece of wood in mine). Add to a large pot of boiling water, boil for half an hour and drain, reserving water..
- Make your herb bundle. Double layer a square of cheesecloth. Lay all the things you don’t want to chew in the middle. Bundle it up, tying with butcher’s twine. Do not make my mistake and include veggie stalks – I thought it would be an easy way to impart more flavour, but forgot they would expand and stretch out the cheesecloth..
- Make your base. Melt some butter; sauté onions, carrots, etc. until soft. Add the herb bundle, push it around for a bit, then toss it in the soup pot. Add minced garlic, cooking briefly. Add flour and cook until nutty. Splash in the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to get the good bits while letting the alcohol evaporate. Slowly incorporate stock..
- Amass the soup! Add your delicious veggie mixture to a crock pot or large soup pot. Add the cooked lentils. Add the reserved lentil water until everything looks a bit too runny. Add cumin and garam masala, if using, and salt and pepper. Cook on low for as long as you’ve got (1-3h) on low heat..
- Get some texture. Dig out the herb bundle and 2 cups of soup. Purée the rest with a hand blender. Return veggies. Fry ham (with basting sauce, if you still have it) and add..
- Garnish and serve!.
Eating 14 Superfoods Is A Great Way To Go Green And Be Healthy One terrific thing about adopting a green lifestyle is opting to take life easier and enjoy yourself along the way. In spite of the fast pace of our modern world, you can achieve this. We need to get back to a lifestyle that prevents disease before it needs treating. The majority of people think nothing of mistreating their bodies today and fixing them with a pill later. We’re barraged with adverts for magic pills that are claimed to fix any problem with the snap of a finger. Definitely, you may get better by taking a pill but not if you keep on doing the same old unhealthy habits. Once your body wears out, you can’t exchange it for a new one, like your car. You mustn’t delay or it will be too late to take goood care of yourself. Proper nutrition is crucial for your body to work at optimum levels. When you eat, are you concerned about the nutritional value or simply eat the food that tastes good at the time? How often do you fill up on mini mart junk food, or oily fried foods from the local fast food eating places? Ingesting sugar and starches, and fatty foods, is it any surprise that new diseases are discovered all of the time? There is an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and many others, possibly triggered by the foods that are eaten. Many people are recognizing the importance of their food choices and are becoming more health conscious. Nutritious food is now being sold at local grocery and health food shops. These days, you can find an organic food area in nearly all grocery stores. There you will be able to get what science has termed superfoods. That name has been given to 14 foods that have been found to retard certain diseases, or even reverse them. Ingesting these superfoods will make your mental awareness and abilities better. As soon as you trade in the junk food for these super foods, you will be amazed at how good you will soon feel. By getting the right nutrition, your body will work the way it is supposed to function. This in turn will enable your immune system to combat disease more efficiently. Your daily diet should contain at least some of these super foods. Why not eat a few beans or blueberries? Next, add a few veggies such as broccoli, spinach, or green tea. Walnuts and whole food grains are a few other superfoods to add. Additionally, you have to include yogurt, soy, pumpkins, oranges, and tomatoes, along with salmon and turkey. If you eat the foods in this list, you won’t ever have a weight problem again. Green living provides you with a good eating plan, with all of the appropriate ingredients for better health. Your body will be free of disease as your immune system improves. You can look forward to a healthy future by altering your food choices today.