Christmas pudding. The Original Victorian Christmas Pudding Recipe : 'Food, Glorious, Food': Cooking with Dickens. A flaming Christmas pudding is the ultimate end to a Christmas meal. We've got classic Christmas pudding recipes that make several large puddings for Stir-up Sunday and quick versions if you've.
A flaming pudding is the grand finale to Christmas dinner, so. Christmas pudding is an old British tradition. There is a lot of symbolism connected to this famous pudding. You can cook Christmas pudding using 14 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Christmas pudding
- Prepare 500 g of Waitrose brandy-soaked mixed fruits-make your own overnight.
- It’s 80 ml of brandy.
- It’s 100 g of plain flour.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 125 g of fresh breadcrumbs (you can use white bread).
- It’s 175 g of dark brown sugar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of freshly ground nutmeg.
- You need of Grated zest of 1 lemon(or orange).
- Prepare 150 g of shredded vegetable suet.
- It’s 1 of cooking apple peeled and grated.
- It’s 50 g of almond flakes.
- You need 3 of eggs beaten.
- Prepare of Butter or vegetable spread for greasing.
It has been an important part of the Christmas celebrations for centuries. The Christmas pudding is a brown pudding with raisins, nuts and cherries. It is similar to fruitcake, except that pudding is steamed and fruitcake is baked. © copyright of projectbritain.com. What would we do at Christmas without Christmas pudding?
Christmas pudding step by step
- Soak fruits overnight in brandy if using your own mix. I soaked them in 80 ml of brandy just as I start getting mix ready for extra alcohol..
- Mix flour, baking powder, fresh breadcrumbs, sugar, spices, lemon zest, suet, apple and almonds in big bowl..
- Add fruit and remaining juices to the flour mix.
- Beat the eggs and add to mixture. Stir to mix well..
- Prepare pudding basin: butter (use veg spread if preferred) a 1.2litre basin. Put disc of baking paper in the base.
- Pour mixture in prepared basin.
- Cover with a double sheet of baking paper and add two layers of foil on top. Tie all the layers with a secure knot and arrange handle to be able to lift pudding.
- Place pudding in a large pan(I use my maslin pan which I use for preserves) and fill halfway with water. Cover with a lid and steam for 6 hours..
- You may have to top water up every now and again as it evaporates..
- After steaming lift pudding from the pan and let it cool completely. Remove foil and baking parchment and cover with new sheets..
- Store in cool dark place for up to 6 weeks..
- To reheat steam for 2 hours as before until piping hot. Invert pudding into large plate to serve.
- I like mine with brandy sauce but everyone else at home will have it with custard instead..
- To flame the pudding warm 100ml of brandy in a small saucepan but do not let it boil. Pour over the pudding and quickly ignite keeping at arms length..
For all the fans out there, this is a recipe to die for. Rich, moist, full of flavour and colour and simply scrumptious. Christmas puddings as we now serve them are another 'tradition' invented by the Victorians. In medieval England puddings were popular and eaten all year round and not just at Christmas time. I recently inherited a slender, handwritten cookery notebook from my husband's grandmother, Ruth.
Consuming 14 Superfoods Is A Terrific Way To Go Green And Be Healthy One terrific feature of adopting a green lifestyle is choosing to take life easier and enjoy yourself along the way. This is possible no matter how filled and frantic your life is. We have to get back to the point where it was a better idea to avoid disease in the first place. Regrettably, majority of people don’t worry about their health since they believe they can take a pill to fix the problem later on. No matter where you look, you hear about some magic pill that will straightaway fix your latest problem. Of course, you may get better by taking a pill but not if you hold on to the same old unhealthy habits. Unlike buying a car, you can’t trade in your exhausted body for a new one. You mustn’t postpone it or it will be too late to take care of your body. Your body needs sufficient amounts of nutrients to function at its most effective levels. When you put food into your mouth, do you pay attention to the nutritional value or only eat the food that tastes good at the time? How many times a week do you eat at your local fast food place or purchase junk food at the local mini mart? Consuming sugar and starches, and also oily foods, is there any wonder why new diseases are discovered all of the time? The things we are consuming are causing obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure of epidemic proportions. People are recognizing the importance of their food choices and are becoming more concerned about their health. Lots of healthy food can now be found at your local health food store or farmer’s market. Most probably, your local grocery store nowadays has an organic food section. There you will be able to find what science has termed superfoods. That name has been given to 14 foods that have been proved to delay certain diseases, or even overturn them. You will discover that you think more clearly when you begin to eat these foods. You will start to feel a lot better when you decide to consume the superfoods rather than junk food. Giving your body the nutrition it needs will allow it to run well. In this case, the immune system is better able to fight off any illness. You should include several superfoods in your diet each day. Foods such as beans and berries are very good. Leafy veggies, such as broccoli, spinach, and green tea. Walnuts and whole cereals are a couple of other superfoods to add. Be sure to consume proteins such as soya, yogurt, salmon, and turkey, plus orange fruits and vegetables like oranges, pumpkins, and tomatoes. When you consume these superfoods on a regular basis, you should get rid of any weight gain problems. Adopting a green living meal plan will give you just what you need to be healthy. Your immune system will be rebuilt, and your body can be free of disease. You can anticipate a healthy future by changing your food choices now.