Jackfruit Pulled "Pork". For vegans and vegetarians craving pulled pork, meaty jackfruit can be slow-cooked in barbeque sauce to make this satisfying substitute. How to make Jackfruit meat into vegan pulled pork, sometimes people call it fooled pork! Jackfruit is good for so many different foods.
NOTE: If using fresh jackfruit, line your work surface with plastic wrap. Carefully remove the core of the jackfruit by cutting into it at an angle. Honestly, I have no idea what took me so long to cook with jackfruit because when you add smoky bbq flavors it just tastes INCREDIBLE! You can have Jackfruit Pulled "Pork" using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Jackfruit Pulled "Pork"
- It’s 200 g of canned jackfruit, drained.
- You need 3 of yellow onions, sliced.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need of (to taste) salt, pepper, cayenne, smoked paprika, cumin.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of barbecue sauce (or to taste).
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- You need 3 tablespoons of crushed tomatoes.
- You need 1 teaspoon of brown sugar.
- You need 4 of hamburger buns.
It's enormous, green and knobbly, and has foodies across the world drooling with delight. So what is it – and where can you get it? For jackfruit pulled pork, you'll want jackfruit in brine or water. Jackfruit in syrup should only be used if being eaten as dessert as it will not work for jackfruit pulled pork.
Jackfruit Pulled "Pork" step by step
- Heat oil in a pan. Cook onions on medium low for about 10 min, add salt and brown sugar.
- When onions have caramelized, add garlic. Cook for a minute then add the jackfruit.
- After a minute, add 1/4 cup of water. Cover with a lid and let cook for 10 min.
- At this point, the jackfruit will be nice and soft, so you can pull it apart with two forks.
- Place mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Mix in the tomatoes, barbecue sauce and soy sauce. Season with spices listed above.
- Bake for 20min in a 200°C oven, stirring halfway through. To serve, place your pulled pork on a bun along with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles. Enjoy :).
Canned Jackfruit Recipes: My pulled jackfruit is a classic take on bbq pulled pork and makes a great vegan alternative; time to jump on the jackfruit pulled pork band wagon! Jackfruit steps in for barbecued pulled pork using this lip-smacking recipe that's made vegan-friendly and nutrient dense! If you're looking to sneak more veggies into your diet, jackfruit is the perfect. Jackfruit pulled pork is a meatless dish that tastes just like shredded pork BBQ! It is simmered slowly in the crock pot and can be served in tacos, sandwiches or by itself with a side of delicious crunchy.