Baroda's famous Mahakali Sev-usal. Vadodara's Sev Usal recipe is famous all over the world and we would like to bring you the same authentic taste to your. This Sev Usal is prepared with dried green peas and some spicy and aromatic ingredients. The speciality of this Sev Usal recipe is the Tari that is prepared using lots of garlic and a tadka of red chilli powder.
Just near Vadodara's historical landmark – the Kirti Stambh, is situated one of Vadodara's most famous local food joint – Jay Mahakali Sev Usal. It is a modest local fast food joint specialised in serving different types of sev-usal. The usal is made of white. You can cook Baroda's famous Mahakali Sev-usal using 35 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Baroda's famous Mahakali Sev-usal
- It’s of For usal.
- You need 1/4 cup of dry green peas.
- You need 1/4 cup of dry white peas.
- You need 1/4 tsp of baking soda (soda bi carb).
- Prepare 1 of big size onion grated.
- It’s 1 of big size tomato grated.
- It’s 1 tsp of (heaped) ginger garlic paste.
- You need 1 tbsp of dessicated coconut.
- It’s 5 of black pepper.
- You need 1 inch of stick cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 of cardemoms peeled.
- It’s 3 of cloves.
- You need 1 tsp of jeera.
- It’s 1 tbsp of mild Chilli Powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of more or less spicy Chilli Powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dhanajeera powder.
- You need of Salt.
- Prepare 1/4-1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- You need 1 of heaped tbsp sevusal masala or bhajipau masala.
- It’s 1 tbsp of chana flour.
- It’s 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare of For Tali.
- It’s 3 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare of Salt.
- You need 1 tbsp of mild Chilli Powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of more or less spicy Chilli Powder.
- Prepare 5 cloves of garlic minced.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of tomato paste (from the tomato grated for usal).
- It’s 1 tsp of sugar.
- It’s of To serve.
- You need 1/2 cup of chopped spring onions (if available) / regular onion.
- It’s 1/2 cup of gathiya(ajwain flavoured thin and short variety).
- It’s 2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves.
- You need 1 packet of buns.
Its one of the famous joints for Sev Usal Always packed. So be ready to wait for ur turn. Travellers who viewed Mahakali Sev usal also viewed. One of the best place in vadodara to have sev usal and other things like sev tari and poha usal.
Baroda's famous Mahakali Sev-usal instructions
- For usal : combine both the types of peas, wash and soak in water for at least 5-6 hours. Discard water and transfer them into a pressure cooker along with a glass of water, salt and soda. Cook it till 2-3 heavy boils. Then close the cooker and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Now increase the heat to medium high and wait for 4 whistles. This is how the peas should look after cooking..
- Dry roast cinnamon, cardemom, jeera, black pepper and cloves in a pan on very low flame till they release aroma. Keep aside. Now dry roast dessicated coconut on very low heat, while stirring constantly till it is light pink and crunchy. Upon cooling down, combine them all and grind to fine powder..
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan and add onion. Saute till the onion burns out all it's moisture and starts to look brown (more on darker side) as shown in pic 2. Add the powder spice prepared in step 2 along with dhanajeera powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and Sevusal masala. Combine well.
- Then add 1-2 tbsp water in order to allow the spices to cook. Cook till oil separates completely and then add the tomato. Combine well and again cook till oil separates. Then add boiled peas along with the water. Add more water to get very thin consistency. There should be only 35-40% peas and the rest water in Sevusal. Make smooth slurry of chana flour by adding 3 tbsp water in it. Add it in the boiling usal along with lemon juice. Boil on low heat for 5-10 min or until the right consistancy..
- For Tali: heat oil in a pan. Fry garlic a bit and then add tomato paste, salt and chilli. Fry till oil starts to separate. Add 1/2 cup of water and a tsp sugar. Cook till oil starts to float..
- To serve : combine onions, coriendar leaves and sev in a plate. Take out a portion of usal in a serving bowl, top it up with desired amount of tali and the sev mixure. Squeeze some lemon over it. Serve it hot with buns..
- The charges for sevusal includes usal, tali, lemon wedges and a mixure of sev-onions- all unlimited. Buns are charged extra. That's why they place a jug full of usal, a bowl full of tali, a plate of mixure and an entire packet of buns at our table. One has to combine all that as per the taste and eat with buns. Chilled chhash goes very well with this lipsmakingly hot dish..
- Tips :1. for best results use grated onion tomato for usal. Grinded paste or chopped versions will not do. 2. There must be only 35-40% Peas and the rest curry in usal. 3. Usal is not supposed to be thick like curry in a sabzi..
Quality is excellent and service is super fast. Highly recommend this place to everyone who are visiting vadodara. — with Thegreedyappetiteurge, Vadodara Foodie and Boy With Orange Plate The spicy snack is a hit and Baroda is famous for joints like Jay Mahakali sev usal, and Gunjan sev usal and Lalabhai sev usal. Prashant, missing the quintessential Barodian cuisine, tried to recreate his favourite dish, sev usal in his home in New Zealand and was successful at it. After a few trials and errors with the recipe he thought why not share this delightful snack with everyone. It can be a breakfast after cricket match or hangout with friends, Mahakali Sev Usal is popular choice among all age group.