Homemade Vanilla Ice-cream. Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream Tips How do you make homemade ice cream creamy and not icy? To ensure your homemade ice cream will come out creamy, use heavy cream, half-and-half or milk with a higher percentage milk fat, such as whole milk. If the ice cream is made with a lower percentage milk fat, it has the potential to become icy.
Get the ice cream machine running, scoop out the vanilla pod pieces, then slowly pour in the cold custard. Make the Ice Cream Custard Start by adding the egg yolks and sugar to a medium saucepan. Whisk the until it's a light yellow color and is well combined. You can have Homemade Vanilla Ice-cream using 5 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Homemade Vanilla Ice-cream
- You need 4 of Eggyolks.
- You need 1/2 Cup of Granulated Sugar.
- It’s 1 Cup of Wholemilk.
- It’s 1 Cup of Heavy cream.
- You need 2 tsp of Vanilla extract.
In another small sauce pan, heat the whole milk over medium-low heat until it just begins to simmer. Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. There are homemade vanilla ice cream recipes that don't use eggs, or use plant-based milk. There are also "no churn" vanilla ice cream versions as well.
Homemade Vanilla Ice-cream instructions
- Add egg yolks and sugar to a medium saucepan and whisk until a light yellow color and well combined. In another small sauce pan, heat milk over medium-low heat until it just begins to simmer. Do not stir. Gradually add milk to egg and sugar mixture, stirring constantly.
- Return to heat until it reaches 165º F, but do not allow it to come to a boil. As soon as it reaches the correct temperature, remove it from the heat. Pour custard base into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until it chills to 65º F. The longer the custard base chills, the creamier your ice cream will be..
- Once the custard base is ready, stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract and pour it into your ice cream maker and process according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. (But for those who don’t have one, follow the instructions on my next recipe.
- Garnish with whatever you want. I cut up Rafaello chocolates, drizzled vanilla sauce and a healthy dose of whipped cream. Fruits, chocolates, nuts as well can be added. Everything works for this recipe.
This however is a recipe for classic vanilla ice cream that's churned in an ice cream machine. The good news though is that this recipe is near impossible to mess up. This recipe for Old Fashioned Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream has been in my family long before I was born. It's the one summer staple that everyone loves! And, you won't find heavy cream in our family recipe.