Spicy Chicken Curry South Indian Style.
You can have Spicy Chicken Curry South Indian Style using 20 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spicy Chicken Curry South Indian Style
- It’s of chicken , cleaned and cut into pieces.
- You need of potatoes , cubed.
- It’s of tomato , sliced.
- You need of onions , sliced.
- It’s of garlic , chopped.
- You need of ginger , chopped.
- It’s of green chillies , slit lengthwise.
- Prepare of cinnamon stick.
- You need of bay leaf.
- It’s of cloves.
- Prepare of cardamom.
- Prepare of fennel seeds (saunf).
- Prepare of coriander seeds whole.
- You need of chillies whole dry red.
- Prepare of coconut grated / dessicated.
- You need of curry leaves of.
- You need of chilli powder.
- You need of turmeric powder.
- Prepare of coriander powder.
- Prepare of mustard seeds.
Spicy Chicken Curry South Indian Style instructions
- Clean the chicken and cut into medium size pieces. wash well, drain and marinate with 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and a bit of salt. set aside..
- Dry roast the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods, bay leaf, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, whole red chilies, desiccated coconut and a few curry leaves. keep mixing it well so that no part of it gets burned. the coconut should have turned an even brown, and the curry leaves should be wilted and dry..
- Transfer the dry roasted spices and coconut to a mixer and grind to a paste using a little water. set aside..
- Heat oil in a kadai / vessel. add the mustard seeds..
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the curry leaves and toss about for 10 seconds..
- Add the slit green chilies, ginger and garlic. Stir till they turn a slight golden brown..
- Add the sliced onions and the remaining turmeric powder. stir till the onions are translucent..
- Add the tomato, remaining chili powder and coriander powder. stir well (about 2 minutes)..
- Next, reduce the heat to medium and add the masala paste prepared earlier. mix well, about 2 minutes. then add the potatoes and stir well. cook covered for about a minute..
- Increase the heat to high, and add the marinated chicken pieces. stir them around till the pieces are evenly coated with the masala and turn slightly opaque..
- Add enough water to form a gravy, and return to a medium – low flame. cook covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- By this time, the fat should have separated from the curry. add salt at this stage, stir and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes..
- Check seasoning and test the potatoes to see if done, and switch off the flame..
- Let the curry rest for about 20 minutes, before serving. serve with rotis or rice..