Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki (Basic).
You can have Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki (Basic) using 23 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki (Basic)
- You need of Batter.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need 3/4 cup of water.
- You need 1 teaspoon of mirin (Japanese rice wine) *optional.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of dashi powder. (kelp powder or Hondashi powder is ok.) *optional.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
- It’s of Main Ingredients.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of fish meal (or bonito powder).
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of kelp powder *option.
- Prepare 1/2 tablespoon of chopped green onion.
- It’s 2 of big handfuls shredded cabbage.
- You need 1 of normal handful bean sprouts.
- You need 2 tablespoon of tenkasu (bits of fried tempura batter).
- Prepare 2 of thin slices of bacon or unsalted pork belly (cut in 4" long).
- Prepare 2 portions of pre cooked egg noodle.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- Prepare of Water mixture of 1/8 of cup water, 1 tablespoon of sake, 1 tablespoon of mirin, 1/8 teaspoon of dashi powder *optional.
- It’s of Sauces and Toppings.
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of Otafuku Okonomiyaki Sauce.
- You need 2 tablespoon of Kewpie mayonnaise *optional.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of aonori (dried powdered seaweed).
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of dried bonito *optional.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of red pickled ginger *optional.
Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki (Basic) instructions
- Prepare all the ingredients..
- Here are the ingredients used in this recipe. From the left: Kelp dashi powder, dried kelp (Ground kelp can be used as a substitute of kelp dashi powder), tenkasu, mirin, Otafuku Okonomi Sauce or Otafuku Gluten free Okonomi Sauce (your choice of the sauce), Kewpie mayonnaise, aonori, and dried bonito..
- To prepare the batter, mix flour, water, mirin, dashi and salt. Rest the mixture in the fridge for at least 2 hours so that all the ingredients come together. If time allows, rest it overnight. The batter will become well-blended to make a thin crepe easily. If there is no time, it's OK to use immediately, but it won't be as good..
- Cut the cabbage in quarters and remove the core. Place the core side down, and shred the cabbage starting from the top in abjout 1/8" wide strips. The width is all up to you..
- Heat the electric griddle to 350F. Grease the griddle slightly using a paper towel. Making a thin crepe will be difficult if too much oil is added onto the griddle because a crepe will easily slide off the griddle..
- Scoop a little less than 1/4 cup of batter, and drop it onto one side of the griddle. To make a thin crepe, spread the batter using five concentrate circles starting from the center and moving out. Do not go over the same area more than once and avoid leaving gaps in within the crepe..
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon fish meal, 1/4 teaspoon kelp powder and 1/4 tablespoon chopped green onion onto each crepe..
- Once the crepes look dry (in 10-20 seconds after spreading the batter), place one big handful of shredded cabbage and 1/2 handful of bean spouts onto each crepe..
- Add tenkasu onto the bean sprouts. Grill the bacon aside..
- With grilled side down, add bacon on top. Drop a tablespoon of batter onto the pile evenly so all ingredient come together. From the beginning to now, it should take 2 minutes..
- Put the egg noodle on the grease left from the previously cooked bacon. Add the water mixture to moisten it, and add flavor with a table spoon of Okonomi sauce. Adjust the noddle's shape so it is a circular shape slightly smaller than the crepe. Cook the pile and the flavored egg noodles for 2 minutes..
- Once the edge of crepe looks dried and slightly lifted, flip the pile upside down. Raise the temperature of the griddle to 390F, and cook about 30 seconds. Bring the scattered cabbages under the crepe nicely with the spatula..
- Lower the temperature of griddle to 350F. Press down the pile with the spatula to remove the excess moisture. Lift the pile up, rotate it and put it down for a couple of times. In this way, the cabbage is evenly steamed. If the quality of cabbage looks dried, inject 1 tablespoon of the water mixture under the crepe using a tube. Cook for 5 minutes..
- Place the crepe pile onto the noodle. Cook for 1 minute..
- Crack an egg onto the griddle, and spread it in a round shape. Place the pile onto the egg spread, and cook for 30 seconds. Flip the whole pile downside up (egg side up)..
- Add Okonomi sauce, mayonnaise, and aonori. Bonito and pickled ginger is optional..
Going Green for Greater Health By Eating Superfoods One good thing about green living is deciding to take life easier and enjoy yourself along the way. Despite the fast pace of our modern-day world, you can accomplish this. We have to get back to the point where it was better to prevent disease in the first place. A lot of folks have the attitude of destryong the body today, and fix it with a pill later on. No matter where you look, you read about some magic pill that will instantly fix your latest problem. There are certain pills that help, but only if you make a number of necessary changes in your life. Unlike purchasing a new car, you can’t trade in your burnt-out body for a new one. You must take care of your health while you are able to. Your body requires sufficient amounts of nutrients to run at its optimum levels. When you eat, do you eat out of convenience or taste without determining if what goes into your mouth is beneficial for you? Do you regularly eat junk food and a good deal of fried foods from fast food restaurants? With all of the sugar-laden starchy and high fat food that virtually all people consume, it’s not surprising that new diseases are regularly occurring. An increasing number of people are developing diabetes, hypertension, and other diseases as a result of the foods they ingest. People are realizing the importance of their food choices and are becoming more health conscious. Nutritious food is now readily available at local grocery and health food stores. Nowadays, you can find an organic food section in just about all grocery stores. There you will be able to find what science has named superfoods. The term superfoods refers to 14 foods that have been proven to retard or reverse certain maladies. By ingesting these superfoods, your body will be uplifted to new heights in mental awareness, and perceptions. As you replace the junk food with the superfoods, you will see a surprising increase in how healthy you feel. Your body will begin to run as it was meant to when you provide it with the correct nutrition. By doing this, your immune system will easily fight off maladies. You need to have some superfoods in your diet everyday. To start with, beans are very good, and berries, in particular blueberries. Then, try to add several veggies such as broccoli, spinach, or green tea. Include whole food grains and nuts. Additionally, you may want to include salmon, turkey, yogurt, soya bean, tomatoes, oranges, and pumpkins. Eating from this list of foods, you won’t ever have to worry about gaining weight again. Observing a green
living eating plan will give you precisely what you need for good health. Your body will become disease free as you build up your immune system. Prepare for a great future by making positive changes to your eating habits today.