Easy Chirashi-zushi with Edamame. Easy Chirashi-zushi with Edamame I often cook this 'Chirashi-zushi', a type of Sushi which is a kind of decorated rice salad, as a side dish for BBQ. Crunchy 'Edamame' are very tasty when mixed with sushi rice. Decorate it with your favourite toppings.
Pour it over the HOT cooked rice, then empty it into a large mixing bowl. Mix it well gently and thoroughly, fanning the rice with a fan or piece of cardboard. Bring to the boil then lower heat to very low. You can cook Easy Chirashi-zushi with Edamame using 13 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Easy Chirashi-zushi with Edamame
- Prepare 3 cups of (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Sushi Rice.
- It’s 1/2 of Carrot *sliced, blanched in salted water.
- Prepare 1/2-1 of Cucumber *thinly sliced, slightly salted.
- It’s 40 g of Dried Shiitake *cooked Sweet Soy Broth (Suger 1 : Soy Sauce 2 : Mirin 1).
- Prepare 1 cup of Edamame *cooked, removed from pods.
- It’s of Snow Peas.
- You need 4 of Eggs.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Oil.
- Prepare of Nori & Toasted Sesame Seeds *optional.
- It’s of <Sushi Vinegar Ingredients>.
- It’s 72 ml of Japanese Rice Vinegar.
- Prepare 60 g of Sugar *slightly less 1/4 cup.
- Prepare 1 of & 1/4 teaspoons Salt.
Crunchy 'Edamame' are very tasty when mixed with sushi rice. Decorate it with your favourite toppings. This can be a fun activity for children. Crunchy 'Edamame' are very tasty when mixed with sushi rice.
Easy Chirashi-zushi with Edamame instructions
- Cook Rice with slightly less amount of water to achieve firmer texture. When Rice is cooked, allow it to steam for 10 minutes..
- Make 'Sushi Vinegar' by mixing Rice Vinegar, Sugar and Salt. Pour it over the HOT cooked rice, then empty it into a large mixing bowl..
- Mix it well gently and thoroughly, fanning the rice with a fan or piece of cardboard to help the rice cool quickly. Quick cooling gives a glossy texture to the rice..
- Cover the rice with a damp cloth to stop the rice drying out..
- Prepare other ingredients for mixing and topping..
- Place thinly sliced Cucumber into a bowl, add Salt and massage, then rest for a while. Squeeze the Cucumber to remove excess water..
- Soak the Dried Shiitake in cold water until soft, drain and slice thinly. (OR use already sliced Dried Shiitake.) Place in a sauce pan, add just enough water to cover, 1 tablespoon Sugar, 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce & 1 tablespoon Mirin, cook for 20 minutes or the broth is thickened. Set aside to cool and squeeze slightly to remove excess liquid..
- Heat small amount of Oil in a frying pan and cook Eggs to make firm & dry scrambled egg. Transfer to a plate..
- Carrot and Snow Peas need to be blanched in salted water. Do not over cook..
- Mix Sushi Rice, Cucumber, Edamame and Shiitake to combine..
- Finally decorate with toppings..
Stir, transfer to a plate and set aside. Chirashi-zushi is a very popular type of Sushi which is a kind of decorated rice salad consisting of Sushi Rice topped with Vegetables, Seafood or thin strips of fine Omelet. You can buy ready-made Chirashi-zushi Mix, which you simply mix with hot cooked rice. I love making this recipe for family picnics and call it "chirashi-zushi bento". If you want to use raw fish then ask your fishmonger for sashimi/ sushi grade fish and take care that you eat it as soon as possible once prepared.