Boiled fruit cake. This is probably one of the better boiled fruit cakes that have come out of Ireland. I like it exactly the way it is printed and it is very good spread. This fruit cake is a simpler and easier version of making a traditional fruit cake or old-fashioned fruit cake.
Place the mixed fruit and nuts. Place soaked fruit, water, butter, golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan. You don't boil the cake, just the ingredients before you bake it. You can have Boiled fruit cake using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Boiled fruit cake
- You need 1 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 cup of caster sugar.
- It’s 1 lb of dried fruit.
- It’s 6 oz of margarine.
- You need 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- Prepare 2 cup of self raising flour.
This is a Northern Ireland recipe given to me by my mum many years ago! You don't boil the cake, just the ingredients before you. It's not a fancy fruit cake but something for everyday. Take of heat and add the bicarb soda, stirring through, mixture will foam up a bit.
Boiled fruit cake step by step
- In a large saucepan, mix all of the ingredients apart from the flour, eggs and bicarbonate of soda..
- Simmer for 15 minutes..
- Allow the mix to cool completely..
- Whilst cooling, line a large cake tin with greased baking paper and preheat the oven to 302° F/ 150°C..
- Beat in the eggs..
- Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and then fold everything together..
- Pour into the tin and bake for 1 1/2 hours on the middle shelf of the oven..
- Leave to cool in the tin..
This deliciously rich and fruity cake is frequently requested by Dairy Diary readers. Add flour and eggs and stir well. See more ideas about Boiled fruit cake, Fruit cake, Cake recipes. All the dried fruit ingredients in this fruit cake are boiled before cooking which makes it extra plump and moist. It is even better the next day..fruit cake.