Basic sourdough bread. Sourdough bread is made entirely using wild yeast — with a strong, active sourdough culture of wild yeast, you won't need any commercial yeast at all. A Basic Sourdough Recipe from sourdough specialist Vanessa Kimbell using a sourdough starter. Step by step instructions on how to make sourdough bread.
Before adding the dough to the proofing baskets or colander make sure the surface of the dough is well floured – if it isn't, it is likely. Sourdough Bread: a Beginner's guide is your go-to resource for delicious, handcrafted bread And remember: because sourdough bread does not contain rapid-rise yeast it will take longer to rise. A great starter recipe to use if you are new to sourdough baking. You can cook Basic sourdough bread using 4 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Basic sourdough bread
- You need 500 g of sourdough starter.
- Prepare 500 g of bread flour.
- It’s 275 ml of water.
- You need 15 g of salt.
The dough cycle of the bread machine can be used to prepare the dough, if you like. Basic Sourdough Bread. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Making sourdough bread at home is one of the most rewarding baking pursuits that you can embark on. The entire process from building a starter to baking your first loaf can seem intimidating.
Basic sourdough bread instructions
- Mix starter, flour, water together until it barely comes together..
- Wait 20 minutes while the flour hydrates..
- Add salt, stretch and fold several times..
- In 10+ minute intervals, continue to stretch and fold until the dough is smooth..
- Let it rise for 1-2 hours, then form it into whatever shape you like..
- Let it rise again, preheat oven and enamel dutch oven to 500°F..
- Place dough on a sheet of parchment, and into the dutch oven. Score the surface with a razor blade, cover, and throw it into the oven..
- After about 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 400°F. Bake until internal temperature reaches at least 180°F, then remove and cool for at least one hour..
This basic bread recipe is a great one for beginners or those who want a simple sandwich bread for everyday Mix sourdough starter, flour, and salt together. Use enough water to make bread dough. Sourdough bread is made by the fermentation of dough using naturally occurring lactobacilli and yeast. The lactic acid produced by the lactobacilli gives it a more sour taste and improved keeping. See our recipe for Bread Machine Sourdough Bread for the original, machine-baked version.