Basic Sweet Shortcrust Pastry. Learn how to make sweet shortcrust pastry. You'll be surprised how easy it is, then you can make all sorts of desserts like our apple and blackberry pies. Shape the dough into a ball, flatten it out into a disc, wrap it in cling film, then chill for at.
Follow these tips for great results every time and try these sweet and savory recipes. This is my favorite recipe as it is the most versatile. It is a good pastry for handling and for rolling and creates a lovely taut crust with a melting. You can have Basic Sweet Shortcrust Pastry using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Basic Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
- You need 250 g of plain flour, sifted.
- Prepare 125 g of cold unsalted butter, diced.
- It’s 100 g of pure icing sugar, sifted.
- Prepare Pinch of salt.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste or extract.
- You need 2 of egg yolks.
- You need 1 tablespoon of milk.
Shortcrust pastry, when you have a good recipe, is one of the simplest and quickest pastries to make. Here, I've given lots of tips and direction about how to use and cook your pastry. The perfect sweet shortcrust pastry or sweet pie crust is not hard to make if you follow the step-by-step recipe in this post. Homemade sweet pie dough makes all the difference, no matter what type of pie or tart you make!
Basic Sweet Shortcrust Pastry instructions
- In a food processor, process flour, sugar, salt and butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolks, vanilla, and milk, pulse till the dough comes together..
- Without overworking the dough, form dough into a ball and place in a clean bowl, then wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes to rest..
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a 22cm loose-bottomed tart tin and line base with baking paper.
- Place pastry on a lightly floured work surface or between two parchment papers. Using a lightly dusted rolling pin, start to evenly flatten roll dough, keeping it as round and neat as possible around the edges making an indent in dough at quarter turns. With even pressure, turn and lift pastry in a clockwise direction, rolling to a thickness of approximately 3mm..
- Carefully line the tart tin with the pastry, and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes..
- Blind bake the pastry for 15 mins, remove the baking beans from the tart and bake for a further 10 mins. Remove tart from oven, allow to cool completely before filling..
And it can be made-ahead and frozen for a few months. Shortcrust pastry is a type of pastry often used for the base of a tart, quiche or pie. Shortcrust pastry can be used to make both sweet and savory pies such as apple pie, quiche, lemon meringue or chicken pie. Shortcrust pastry recipes usually call for twice as much flour as fat by weight. Suitable for freezing before or after baking.